Placer High School‎ > ‎Counseling‎ > ‎

College Application Tips


Before starting your college applications, be sure to log in to your Aeries portal and print out a copy of your high school transcript which includes your Social Security number. It is critical that you report all courses and grades exactly as they appear on your transcript.

**Prior to submitting online to a CSU or UC, please have a Placer counselor review your completed application**

CSU - California State University

Submission window: Oct 1 - Nov 30            

Under Profile:

If you took any dual enrollment or academic enrichment college courses, select “yes” for “did you earn college

Credit?” Do NOT mark “yes” for AP course credit. See below.

SSID #: 10 digit ID number* from Aeries or from the bottom left corner of your printed transcript.

*Note: this is not your permanent ID number.

Academic History / High Schools Attended section:

In this section you will add Placer High twice (use the drop down to select):

1: select Term Type - Full Year (each class you take at Placer is equal to one one year)

2: select Term Type - Semester (Gov/Econ are the only semester classes you will list here)

Academic History / High School Coursework section:

  • Add Grade Level for the coursework you are entering. Click the green checkmark to complete your entry and move forward.

  • Begin typing the course name, a drop down feature will open. Click on course for every A-G subject area course you completed in that grade level (A-G courses are identified by a “P” in the CP column of your Placer transcript. Do not enter non A-G courses such as Tech Essentials, Health or PE.  

  • If any A-G course names do not pop-up automatically, you can enter them manually exactly as they appear on your transcript (OR see your counselor.  

  • Students taking the English 1A dual credit course will enter this under Sierra College and then match it has a “B” course in A-G.

  • Select Course Type: It will indicate NONE or can choose Advanced Placement OR Honors; most will be None (This step must be completed before you can click the green checkmark to complete entry of a new course and move forward.)

  • If you took Integrated Math 1, Integrated Math 2, or a Language Other Than English (Spanish, for example) in the 7th or 8th grade, open a 7th/8th grade tab & report these courses in that Grade section and enter your two grades earned for each class

  • Repeated Courses: If you repeated a A-G course, enter the highest grades earned for the course. Do not enter this repeated course twice. If the repeated course is In Progress, then enter the original grade earned since a new grade has not yet been earned.

        Important: Properly Adding Economics & Gov/Econ

        In the 2nd Placer High year 2020-2021 List under Semester Term

  • Enter “American Government”  and Economics in the 12th Grade section

  • Enter “In Progress” for the FALL grade if taking this course during the fall term - or enter “Planned” for the SPRING grade if taking this course during the spring term; Leave the opposite FALL/SPRING grade as No Grade.

        Dual Enrollment & College Courses

  1. Students who have taken a dual enrollment class must enter the course as College ONLY--not high school.  This requires adding Sierra College, Sac State, or another college as a school attended then reporting the grade earned OR IN PROGRESS or PLANNED at that college.  See below for a list of the dual credit COLLEGE course names.

***If you did NOT mark “yes” to question “did you receive college credit?” then this feature will not open; go back and change your answer in Profile Section.

  1. On both CSU and UC Applications you must list your college as a school attended: i.e. Sierra College.  List self as a freshman. Follow directions in application for listing of courses, grades or In Progress.  ON CSU college section, make sure you click “Save your Transcript”

  1. Remember: Students will need to have final transcripts sent from both Placer and Sierra College or Sac State to the college they end up attending by July 15 (after you graduate).

Transcript Entry section (for college courses completed, in progress, or planned):

  • Select Academic Status: Choose Freshman for all college courses taken during high school

  • Select Term, Type the course code and select the class from the drop down menu.  Select from the drop down menu the College Department.

  • The course title and credits should autofill.

  • Enter the grade earned.

                          Placer Dual Enrollment Classes:
                          Placer Name        Sierra Course Code & College Name             Credits

English 12-P     ENGL1A   Introduction to Composition 4

English 12 (Online DE) ENGL1A   Introduction to Composition                  3

US History-P              HIST17B  History of United States since 1865 3

Mechatronics-P                MECH8     Introduction to Electronics         3

Graphic Design-P      AAD70     Introduction to Digital Design 3

Intro to Kinesiology KIN81      Introduction to Kinesiology                  3

Physiology of Fitness KIN83  Physiology of Fitness                          3

Woodworking 2 CET5       Introduction to the Built Environment 3

World Stud (Online DE) HIST51    World History Since 1500                  3

Bio & Sust Ag-P AGRI196  Intro to Sustainable Agriculture          3

Chem&Agrisci-P AGRI221  Introduction to Soil Science                  3

Environmental Studies ESS1       The Environment & the Human Impact 3

Advanced Biology BIO56      Biology: A Human Perspective      3

Video Production AAD 79    Intro to Digital Filmmaking                  3

Statistics                  MATH13   Elementary Statistics                          4

Spanish 4                       SPAN3     Intermediate Spanish Level 1                  4

                 Additional College Courses taught by Sierra faculty at Placer:

                 EMR HSCI7    Emergency Medical Responder                  3.5

Medical Terminology HSCI3    Medical Terminology                                 3

Personal Development   PDEV6 Career Planning                3

A-G Matching section:

  • Click the Update A-G Courses button at the bottom of this page, then click on the Grade Level bar to expand your course entries.

  • Review all classes entered to make sure that every A-G course you completed is matched with the correct A-G Subject Area category letter in that corresponds to the List of A-G Categories.

  • If you are using a college course to fulfill an  A-G subject area requirement, ONLY report a course as a College class and match with the appropriate A-G Subject Area category, i.e. Engl 1A is “B” for English 12, so add a class to the “B” section, there should be 4 total.

UC - University of California

Submission window: Nov 1 - Nov 30

Academic History - Step 2 / High Schools Attended section:

  • What is your school’s term system? Select Full (1 final grade per year) and 

Semester (2 final grades per year) for Placer High. Be sure to choose BOTH boxes.

Academic History - Step 2 / High Schools Courses and Grades section:

  • Click on a subject area to see the list of courses offered at Placer High

  • For each grade level, select the courses you took

  • For most Placer courses, choose Term Type: Full and report a single grade; for a course with two grades, choose Term Type: Semester and report two grades (Gov/Econ)

  • For 12th Grade students taking the English 1A or 1B will report this under college, not high school 

  • Important: Properly Adding Economics & Gov/Econ or AP Gov/Politics

  • In the 12th Grade History/Social Science section, choose American Government

  • Choose Term Type: Semester

then select IP in the Grade 1 column (if taking Gov in the fall)

or PL in the Grade 2 column (if taking Gov in the spring)

  • In the opposite column (Grade 1 or Grade 2), select no to indicate that you will only be receiving 5 credits for Gov

  • In the 12th Grade College-Prep Electives section, choose Economics 

  • Choose Term Type: Semester 

then select IP in the Grade 1 column (if taking Econ in the fall)

or PL in the Grade 2 column (if taking Econ in the spring)

  • In the opposite column (Grade 1 or Grade 2), select no to indicate that you will only be receiving 5 credits for Economics

Common App

• Almost 900 colleges and universities use Common App 
• 204 public colleges and universities 
• 62 international universities in 18 countries 
• More than 325 without app fee